Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

My dad works for Proctor & Gamble.  He always makes it a point to buy products that he more or less contributed to and asks that people in his family do the same.  So Bounty paper towels, Charmin toilet paper and Tide are the go-to products in his house.  On the same token, yes it is nice to support your own company and yourself, I, like many students, do not feel that it is necessary to spend away our hard earned and hard-to-come-by money on name-brand products.  So instead of the, "Geeze dad, that is just too expensive...but if you, but it for my I will use it..." I can just buy the stupid detergent without regret.  It may seem silly, talking about all of this name-brand product mambo jumbo, but it is something that has recently been brought to my attention and I will tell you why.  P&G spends millions of dollars on Tide marketing and advertising.  This is one of their most popular brands.  After making the product, telling y'all about it, and selling it (or trying to) the revenue is not that great.  Maybe a like hitting a triple, but not quite the home run--what the generic brands have been hitting.  So now Tide comes out with Basic, the exact same thing in the orange bottle or box and Wal-Mart or some other monster has some competition with their generic detergent versus Basic.  Instead of copying some of Tide's ingredients or, well I'll just say it, powers, and stealing all of its branding and advertising powers,  Wal-Mart now has another kid on the block.  I love it, bam!  Suck it Wal-Mart!  Well, the story doesn't end there.  P&G didn't want Tide Basic to seem like it was falling short in terms of quality compared to original Tide, so they came out with Cheer.  It's cheaper, I'll buy it and it makes my clothes smell yummy.  So it's a win-win.  You're welcome dad, it's the little things, bye Tide Basic, hellloooo Cheer, suck it Wal-Mart(!) and do your laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, you rock!