Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

About Yosemite...again

Vernal Nevada Falls Hike Yosemite, CA

I know I've already posted a ton of pictures from my trip to Yosemite this year.  I haven't had too much leisure time lately, but I did stumble upon some pretty cool things about the park I thought I'd share with this random picture of the Nevada Falls Hike I found on my camera.

Yosemite covers about 1200 square miles of land (~750k acres).  The Gold Rush brought a ton of people to the area causing conflicts with the native Mariposa Indians.  This conflict became known as the Mariposa Indian War (ended 1851).  El Capitan is the largest granite block in the world.  Also, giant sequoia are the oldest trees in the world, some older than 3,000 years!

I actually didn't know most of that before going out to visit.  It's pretty cool stuff!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know any of these facts either. Bring on more facts.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pics. no matter how many you share :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, you rock!