Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Winter Commute: 2013 Gear

Winter Commute: 2013 Gear

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius

Unfortunately my boss doesn't have the same mentality about getting to work on time, so when it's cold and blustery I still have to get my tail in gear.  Luckily I have a few go-to items that get me there comfortably.  The first is the Sierra Designs Hurricane Rain Jacket that goes over a fleece or pullover sweater.  Though it's not perfect for Spring and Fall, it keeps out air, snow, and water perfectly.  Next up is the Bern Watts helmet I snagged off of REI outlet for ~$40.  It has a snap-in fleece for added warmth and coziness. I use an old Cannondale Urbapod Messenger bag I bought in a small bike store in Western Pennsylvania.  It's my first bike bag, but somehow I end up reverting back to it after a season or two.  It has its fair share of drawbacks, but I don't carry much and it's very comfortable.  The Stanley thermos, I've definitely sung its praises here and here. My dad got me the Ganka Thinsulate deerskin mittens for Christmas this year and they work wonders.  Finally, a mitten that keeps me roasty-toasty in the AM.  And, lastly, the Cateye Jido front light sent by the gods above.  It's a beam of light that shoots about the distance of one city block ahead.  I keep it on pulse for the strobe/rave/party effect.

Any go-to items that get you to work in one piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, you rock!