Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Beer Review (14): Saranac Adirondack Lager

Saranac Adirondack Lager
Brewery: Saranac  | Beer: Saranac Adirondack Lager | Beer Advocate Score: 77 Abv: 5.5%

Saranac celebrates their 125th anniversary this year.  To properly congratulate them, I picked up a pack on some rural road meandering its way through Paul Smith's, NY, miles away from any plot of civilization.  $10, can you believe it?  Keeping them locked away in an icy cooler aboard the canoe, we headed out towards Black Pond...

The beer was tasty, a bit bready with mild hops and a clean mouth feel, but not really any surprises.  I had no idea there was a German Pilsner resemblance to this Amber Lager until after reading a description on the website.  You could have fooled me.  Saranac is a brewery I'm very familiar with but this one just didn't seem to fit the bill for me, it was incredibly boring.  I would have preferred trying the Blue Point Brewing Company's Amber Lager instead.  I'll call this beer palatable, but so-so.  Maybe it was just hard to match the amazing scenery and camping trip.  I'll give it another go down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe give it another go when someone offers to buy you one! I felt the same about Anchor Brewing's Anchor Steam.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, you rock!